Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 284/366 – Goodbye Mother’s



Your Ad Here



Check out these Mothers images:

Day 284/366 - Goodbye Mother's

Mothers


Image by Great Beyond

Today is a very sad, sad day my friends, for amid all the Wall Street chaos, panic and general implosion of the United States economic system, Mothers Cookies went out of business.

I remember enjoying the frosted animal crackers since I was a kid, and although I hated oatmeal, I loved the molassas oatmeal cookies they made. Oh sure I couldnt eat more than three of these things before my heart was ready to explode in my chest, but I loved them just the same. But suddenly, abruptly they were no more.

Hey Bush! How about a multi-billion dollar bail out for something that *REALLY* matters!

116/365 Meet my Mother-in-Law

Mothers


Image by Venn Diagram

Before we start, I should admit that I think I'll probably get into trouble about this shot - from my actual mother-in-law who is a lovely person, and not someone who I would describe as I will describe the drink later on.

I got into home brewing a while ago, and read a book that discussed the old practice of mixing different drinks. So bitter, mild, stout, etc., etc. would be mixed to make different combinations. Of course, people gave them names, as we do today with cocktails.

The drink you see in the picture is a "Mother in Law" - a lot of drinks were named after the beers and the qualities of the people as popularly imagined. The two drinks haven't mixed, possibly different protein in them, maybe a slightly different specific gravity (though I don't think so).

You must be wondering, what two drinks make up a mother-in-law, what two qualities sum them up in the popular unconscious?

Bitter and stout.

Strobist: 430EXII behind at 1/32nd:24mm with a Sto-Fen diffuser. 580EX angled upwards at 1/128:105mm to get a little top lighting off the ceiling.


Your Ad Here


No comments:

Post a Comment